People tend to think it’s only older pets that get ill and therefore younger pets don’t need pet insurance but we know from the patients we see each day that that is not the case.
In fact, the younger your pet is when you insure them the better as it means you are less likely to have any existing conditions, which may not be covered by the policy and you can then receive more help covering the cost of any future treatment your pet needs.
It is important to note that not all pet insurance is the same. There are many different types of policy available and the level of cover provided can vary considerably. The four main types of policy are as follows:
- Accident: provides cover for accidents only and no cover for illness
- Time-Limited: provides cover for a set amount of time (usually 12 months) and after this period the condition is excluded
- Maximum Benefit: provides cover up to a maximum amount of money per condition and once this limit is reached the condition is excluded
- Lifetime: provides a set amount of money each year which is refreshed each time you renew your policy allowing you to continue to claim for ongoing conditions, provides cover for accidents only and no cover for illness
As you can see from the information above, the type of policy you choose can have implications for the veterinary care of your pet and the costs you will face so it’s important to choose the right cover. Sometimes, the cheapest insurance can cost you more in the long run. When shopping around for a policy, we suggest that you ask the following questions to allow you to compare the overall value you are getting, not just the price:
- Does this policy cover congenital, hereditary, hip-related, dental and behavioural conditions?
- Is there a time or monetary limit on how long this policy will cover ongoing conditions for?
- If I claim, will my premium increase?
Unlike other forms of
Number Of Insurance Claims Completed in 2015
Talk to us about your pets' insurance needs...
Call Castle Cary: 01963 350307 or Yeovil: 01935 474690 to book a Healthy Pet Scheme appointment with a Veterinary Nurse today, or click to enquire below
I have been a client of Delaware Veterinary Practice for 14 years, during this time my Akita, ‘Loki’ became ill with an auto immune condition. I luckily insured Loki as soon as I had him with a policy with lifelong cover. This meant that Loki could receive the best treatment for her and I did not have to worry about expensive medications and how to afford them each month. I was very grateful that Delaware were more than willing and able to deal with my insurance company directly, so apart from excess payments. I did not have to pay up front for any treatment for the duration of Loki’s illness which was for the next 7 1/2 years. My insurance company paid out over £30,000 during Loki’s lifetime which enabled her to live a happy and fulfilling life, without this level of cover I could not afford such treatment and believe I would have lost her when she was much younger. Although we have recently lost Loki at 10 1/2 years old, I will be forever grateful that I had a good insurance cover for her and for Delaware who were so helpful and did all of the work throughout the claims process over the years.